Happy 60th Merdeka! In conjunction with the 60th year of Malaysian Independence, MPH Publishing and Salt Media has collaborated to publish a book on many facts and trivia about Malaysia, Kaki Lima and Other Intriguing Malaysian Numbers, from 1 to 60!
While we may think we know so many things about Malaysia, did you know:
- Why the pedestrian walkways in front of most shophouses are called kaki lima?
- What made the drivers of the infamous pink bus mini perform death-defying stunts every day as they collect customers?
- What exactly did Botak Chin do that he became the first person to plead guilty to capital offences and died via hanging at Pudu Prison?
- How did we choose the design for the Jalur Gemilang?
- Which weapon is traditionally used as a form of execution?
…and many more facts, all of which are tied to a specific number and presented in full colour.
The book does not claim to be a conclusive, exclusive or representative of any particular point of view, but rather to spark a renewed interest in the history of our nation, all inspired by many numbers that will astonish and inspire pride in any true-born Malaysians.
– Review by Huda
Get the book here